The McIvor Timber & Firewood Company, by Frank Stamford

£23.99
The McIvor Timber & Firewood Company, by Frank Stamford
The McIvor Timber & Firewood Company, by Frank Stamford

Published by the Light Railway Research Society of Australia in 2014, 104 pages. Large A4 size softback (N6139)

From the rear side cover: The McIvor Timber & Firewood Company operated from its headquarters at Tooborac, central Victoria from 1906 to 1927. Its main purpose was to supply firewood to the Bendigo and Melbourne markets. The firewood was mostly obtained from private properties north­ east and north ofTooborac. These properties were being cleared of their trees to enable their use for grazing.

To transport the firewood, the Company built 5 ft 3 in gauge tramways to Mitchells Creek, Puckapunyal, Moormbool West, and Cherrington. This book records the route of these tramways, and gives details of remains which were found on extensive site inspections made between 1971 and 1986.

The Company was established by some of Australia's leading industrialists - William Hedges of Perth, and William Knox and Herman Henry Schlapp of Melbourne. West Australian Goldfields Firewood Supply Ltd also had a major shareholding, and supplied the expertise to enable the McIvor Company to establish itself very quickly.

Most of the area concerned is now occupied by the army and is not accessible to the public. By 1971 there were very few people living in the area, but at the time the Company operated, there was much more activity, with settlements at Major's Line and Moormbool West, each with a school and post office. This book gives an insight into the activities of these settlements, including sports events, and football games, which the McIvor Company supported.


The condition of the book is generally very good. The covers are clean and bright, the spine is tight and intact, and all pages are clean, intact, unblemished and tightly bound. Please note there are some very light scratches on the rear side cover
Condition New