The Cambridge Tram - From Bath & Bradford to Ipswich, by John Griffiths

£5.99
The Cambridge Tram - From Bath & Bradford to Ipswich, by John Griffiths
The Cambridge Tram - From Bath & Bradford to Ipswich, by John Griffiths

Booklet published by the Ipswich Transport Museum, 19 pages. A5 size pamphlet (N6586CHX2)

From the introduction: The Ipswich Transport Museum tries to comprehensively reflect the history of transport in Ipswich. Public transport items on display include several buses which are representative of the late 20th century, going back to the first motor bus acquired in 1950 by Ipswich Corporation Transport. Before that trolleybuses ruled in Ipswich and the Museum displays several, including the oldest trolleybus on public view in the world which arrived on the streets of Ipswich in 1923. Even earlier than that electric trams clanked around the streets of Ipswich and once again the Museum has a splendidly restored example of a 1904 tram which can be boarded. and explored by visitors. Before the electric trams transport in Ipswich was dominated by horse drawn trams and it has always been a great sadness that no such vehicle is still in existence. Thus there was great interest when it was discovered that the remains of a Cambridge horse tram not only existed but was available to a good home. Although Cambridge is outside the normal area of the Museum's interest, the trams were closely related. The Ipswich and Cambridge system both started running in October 1880 and used trams acquired from the same source and to the same design, although the track gauges were slightly different - 3' 6" as against 4'. The museum therefore acquired the Cambridge tram in 2003. However when we began the restoration we discovered that we had more than just a Cambridge horse tram......

Cambridge Street Tramways was a private company which operated 2 routes. One from the railway station to the Old Post Office (Christ's College), the other along East Road and Trumpington Street to Market Hill. The total length was 2.67 miles. Initially 6 cars were bought from Starbuck Car and Wagon Co. Ltd. of Birkenhead. In 1894 another car was purchased to allow earlier cars to be withdrawn one at a time when a major overhaul was necessary. In 1909 a further car was purchased. All cars were 6' 1" wide. In the 1900s there was a move to electrify the tramway system but, unlike Ipswich, this came to nothing. The horse trams continued operation until 1914 when motor buses finally took over. The tramcars were auctioned on 20 February 1914 for use as seaside bungalows, summer houses, house-boat bodies etc...


The condition of the pamphlet is generally good. The cover has several minor scuffs, and light creasing and wear along the edges and corners, but the staple spine is intact and all pages are intact, unblemished and tightly bound. There is a small price sticker on the rear side cover.
Condition New