The Book of St Audries & West Quantoxhead - The Amble through History, by Duncan Stafford

£22.99
The Book of St Audries & West Quantoxhead - The Amble through History, by Duncan Stafford
The Book of St Audries & West Quantoxhead - The Amble through History, by Duncan Stafford

Published by Halsgrove in 2006, 192 pages. Large A4 size Hardback with Dust Jacket (N6049)

Brand New Book

From the front inside fly leaf: Although names of local manors were mentioned in the Domesday Book, the parish that existed before the addition of the 1828 toll road is virtually unrecog­nisable to us today. The Acland-Hood family invested heavily in the parish dur­ing the 1800s; the village was relocated, St Audries House extended and a new church, school, gasworks and farm built, along with an access and a slipway to the beach. The deer park was expanded and woodland planted.

This book reveals how the parish has evolved. The 30 smallholdings extant in 1761 are now just three. Quarries, schools, the gasworks, slipway and even the bridge between the once infamous St Audries Walls have come and gone. About 1,000 troops were stationed at the Army Camp during the Second World War. Today hol­iday businesses, as well as St Audries Park, The Windmill, Rydon Kennels, St Audries Garage with the filling-station and shop welcome thousands of visitors annually to enjoy the parish and its surrounds.
Condition New