Tally Ho! Bluebell, Poppy and More - Early Motor Buses and Coaches in the Kingsbridge Area, by Roger Grimley

£9.99
Tally Ho! Bluebell, Poppy and More - Early Motor Buses and Coaches in the Kingsbridge Area, by Roger Grimley
Tally Ho! Bluebell, Poppy and More - Early Motor Buses and Coaches in the Kingsbridge Area, by Roger Grimley

Published privately by the author, 48 pages. A4 size staple bound booklet (N5224)

This privately published A4 size booklet provides a fascinating history of public motor transport in the Kingsbridge area of South Devon and covers the period from the early days of motoring all the way up to the 1960's. The booklet is illustrated throughout with several small black and white photographs

From the introduction: Kingsbridge is a small market town on a steep hill rising from the head of a beautiful many-branched estuary. It is the commercial centre for a large rural area and far enough away from a big town to retain its own special character. The surrounding hilly countryside and the coastline is of great beauty and attracts many visitors.

The railway reached Kingsbridge in 1893 with a branch from the main line at South Brent along the sparsely populated valley of the River Avon. This signalled a time of change for the many operators of horse-drawn passenger-carrying vehicles. Those who had previously carried passengers to and from Wrangaton (Kingsbridge Road Station) now catered for tourists who arrived by train. Wagonettes and coaches took the visitors to the then largely undiscovered fishing village of Salcombe and to other
places along the coast. An important link was provided by the Dartmouth Coaching Company who ran from Kingsbridge Station through Torcross, across Slapton Sands to Dartmouth, from where a ferry connected with the trains at Kingswear on the opposite bank of the River Dart. Described as the finest coaching trip in the country, the service lasted until 1916.

From 1903 the Great Western Railway inaugurated Road Motor services from railheads and in the South Hams there was considerable pressure from local people for the company to start a service between Kingsbridge and Salcombe. This did not happen but, after a syndicate of Modbury people started a motor service to and from Plymouth, a private company commenced operation over the hilly road between Kingsbridge and Salcombe. The terrain proved too much for the early vehicles and the horses had the road to themselves again until 1909 when at last the G.W.R. Road Motors appeared on the scene.

After the Great War of 1914-1918 road transport came to the fore and several local businesses ran trips to the seaside and the moors. The shops, theatres and football matches in the nearest large town, Plymouth, were an attraction and the lack of a direct rail service was exploited to the full by the motor proprietors. Motor chars-a­banc and the village carriers abandoned horse traction for the newfangled motors. The "Bluebell", "Poppy" and later the "Tally Ho!" became- familiar sights in the neighbourhood, the latter still being active in the early 21 st century.

The pioneers often continued the rural tradition of having several sources of income. They combined running motor vehicles with activities such as rabbit trapping, farming, scrap metal dealing, motor engineering and corn milling. In an area where the seasons brought different opportunities it was possible to keep occupied throughout the year, one trade being busy when the others were quiet.

This publication covers the time from the advent of motors until the 1960's....


The condition of the booklet is generally very good. The card covers are clean and bright, the staple binding is tight and intact, and all pages are clean, intact, unblemished and tightly bound. There is a small price sticker on the rear side cover.
Condition New