Sd.Kfz. 171 Panzer V Panther (Ausf. A/D/G), by Dmitry Mironov and Lukasz Gladysiak

£19.99
Sd.Kfz. 171 Panzer V Panther (Ausf. A/D/G), by Dmitry Mironov and Lukasz Gladysiak

Sd.Kfz. 171 Panzer V Panther (Ausf. A/D/G), by Dmitry Mironov and Lukasz Gladysiak

Published by Kagero in 2017, 20 pages. Large A4 size Booklet with loose leaf fold-outs (N6772)

Brand New

The main booklet is illustrated throughout with detailed line drawings showing plans of the vehicle, and also includes 4 pages colour drawings showing individual profiles of tanks with different designs and camoflauge. There are also 3 large loose leaf fold outs with further detailed line diagrams and drawings. All captions and text is in both English and Polish.

From the introduction: The story of one of the most famous combat vehicles of the 20th century, the German Panzerkampfwagen V "Panther" medium tank, would not have started without the confrontation of the Wehrmacht with the Soviet T-34. Following the alarming reports that began to be sent to Berlin from the fighting on the Eastern Front by Panzerwaffe units, the decision was made to build a completely new tank. It had to be capable of destroying almost any type of enemy armored vehicle. The Pz.Kpfw. V prototype, built by MAN, was ready at the end of 1942. Serial production started before the beginning of the following year, and it's quite unsuccessful combat debut took place in the summer of 1943 during the battle of Kursk.

For three years following nearly 6,000 Pz.Kpfw. V were produced. They were built in successive, evidently different versions, Ausf. D (December 1942 - September 1943), Ausf. A (August 1943 - May 1944) and Ausf. G (March 1944 - May 1945) This group was complemented by the experimental Ausf. F variant, whose main armament had to be installed in the new model turret, the so-called Schmallturm. Moreover, 329 exemplars were rebuilt into command vehicles, with the additional Funkgeratsatz 7 or 8 radio set, and 41 more, after removing their main armament, were the basis for artillery observation vehicles equipped with a stereoscopic range-finder. The "Panther" chassis was also used to build armoured evacuation/recovery vehicles - Bergepanther and tank destroyers - Jagdpanther.

All Pz.Kpfw. V medium tanks were powered by a 700 hp 12-cylinder Maybach HL230 P30 petrol engine. The maximum road speed of this 45 tonnes vehicle was approximately 46 km/h (24 km/h off road) and the maximum range with 720-litres fuel reserve, about 200 km. The main armament of "Panthers" was a 7.5 cm Kampfwagenkanone 42 Ll70 gun with ammunition stowage of 79 to 81 rounds. The vehicles described were used in combat not only by the German army, but also by its opponents. The Anti-Nazi Allied forces captured a total of several dozen "Panther" tanks. Some of them were used by Polish soldiers, for instance during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944....

Condition New