Published by Kagero in 2019, 20 pages. Large A4 size Booklet with loose leaf inserts (N7205)
The main booklet is illustrated throughout with detailed line drawings showing plans of the vehicle, and also includes 4 pages colour drawings showing individual profiles of tanks with different designs and camoflauge. There are also 2 loose leaf inserts with further detailed line diagrams and drawings. All captions and text is in both English and Polish.
From the introduction: The German heavy tank Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger is a vehicle known even to laymen, although they often refer this name to many other tanks. The Tiger acted on imagination already during the war. It was heavily armoured and armed with a deadly 88 mm gun. Despite their legend, the Tigers were harassed by a number of technical problems, especially with propulsion, which often did not allow them to fully use their combat potential.
The main motivator for designing the Pz.Kpfw. VI was eager to install a Flak 36 anti-aircraft gun 36 caliber 88 in the turret. It was a weapon that could destroy Soviet tanks on long distances. In addition, it was necessary to build a tank able to withstand fire from the T-34/76 guns, which effectively eliminated the German medium tanks Pz.Kpfw.111 and IV.
A competition for a tank that fulfils these requirements was set, and in April 1942 the prototypes of Porshe and Henschel went for the final duel. After a series of tests, the tank developed by Henshel proved to be better. It received the designation Sd.Kfz. 181 Pz.Kpfw. VI Tiger Ausf. H1 and went into production at the plants in Kassel-Mittelfeld and Wegmann AG.
The tank was plagued by many teething problems, and as a result, a number of subsequent construction changes were introduced in the course of production. Considering the periods of their implementation, it is possible to extract Tigers of early production series, vehicles after modification and vehicles of late production series.
Originally, the evacuation hatch on the right side of the turret was equipped with a shooting hole. After modification, the hatch was enlarged and the hole was removed. In addition, anti-personnel mines S launchers were mounted to the tank's hull. In the tanks of the early production series, two sets of three smoke grenade launchers NbK 39 caliber 90 mm were mounted on the turret. Tanks produced in 1942 and until mid-1943 had a commander's observation tower of a tower-type equipped with observation slots. Later tanks received a new type of turret (such as in Pz.Kpfw. V Panther and Pz.Kpfw. VII Tiger In equipped with periscopes. The commander's tower had a frame for MG 34, adapted for anti-aircraft fire. Some of the tanks had racks for mounting the spare track links on the turret's sides. In the vehicles from the beginning of production, additional links were mounted at the front of the hull. The way the driver's periscope was mounted was also changed. From mid-1943, the hull and the turret were covered with a special anti-magnetic paste, so-called
A very important modification of the Tigers was the use of more durable, steel support wheels in the 800 last tanks instead of wheels with a rubber bandage. The outer row of support wheels has been dismounted, leaving only two full rows of wheels. The last batch of tanks also had a modified cannon muzzle break.