Monks Road - Lincoln's East End Through Time, edited by Andrew Walker
Booklet published by the Survey of Lincoln, 64 pages. A5 size booklet (N6068)
From the rear side cover: For the purposes of this booklet, the Monks Road district has been defined as being the length of Monks Road, with its western boundary the junction with Broadgate, and its eastern boundary where Monks Road terminates and Allenby Road begins. The northern boundary of the area under examination here is marked by Lindum Terrace and the southern boundary is the River Witham. These borders, though, are somewhat elastic. For instance, since some of the district lies within the parish of St Swithin, it was felt appropriate to examine the parish church which situated immediately to the west of Broadgate.
The Monks Road district today is a vibrant part of the city and accommodates a socially diverse group of people. Some of the district's residents are relative newcomers to the city, with a number having moved into the district in recent years, for instance, from eastern Europe, whilst others are able to trace their connections with the district over several generations. This work examines the development of the area from Roman days to the present and identifies how social, cultural and economic changes have left their physical mark on this part of the city.
As will become clear through the pages of this work, much of the Monks Road district today is a product of the later nineteenth century and early twentieth century. Early maps of the district indicate that the nameMonks Roadis a relatively recent one. On William Marrats map of 1817, the route is referred to as 'Baggerholmgate'; by 1842, on Padley's map of Lincoln, it is labelled as 'Monks Lane. Paintings produced by artists such as Peter de Wint in the early nineteenth century reveal that roday's busy road was then a pleasant, wooded track providing dramatic views of the cathedral. However, by 1868, in most trade directories of the time, the thoroughfare is listed as 'Monks Road; which reflected the largely residential development that was beginning to take place along its length.
Studying successive maps of the Monks Road area, the steady eastwards expansion of the district in the later nineteenth century is marked. The 1868 Padley map of Lincoln indicates that residential development of the district was restricted to the south side of Monks Road between Rosemary Lane to the west, and Thomas Street to the east.
Between 1868 and the publication of the 1920 Ordnance Survey map, house building extended eastwards from Thomas Street to Devon Street on the south side of Monk Road, and from the Arboretum to Frederick Street on the north side of the road, with Bathurst Street and Sherbrcoke Street as two far easterly outposts.
This collection of brief articles examines the buildings and structures in the district which have enabled people to live, work, worship, study and play in and around Monk Road through time...
Condition of the booklet is generally excellent. The covers are clean and bright, the staple spine is intact and all pages are clean, intact, unblemished and tightly bound. There is a small price sticker on the rear side cover