From the introduction: In the middle of the last century there were around 150 licensed houses in Middleton. Most survived into the twentieth century, but shifts in population, the need to improve areas of poor housing and tougher licensing laws led to many closures in the first three decades. Post-war redevelopment and road improvements have seen off many others and in 1993 there are fewer than sixty pubs in the Middleton district.
This booklet covers the history of the pubs over a period of 250 years. There were alehouses at Middleton well over 300 years ago, but the licensing records of those times give only the names of the licensees. In 1651, for instance, John Andrew, a blacksmith of Middleton, took out a licence for a common inn, alehouse or victualling house. In 1697 we know that Benjamin Walkden, Edmund Fitton, William Lomax, George Holt and Simeon Meadowcroft kept alehouses in the town. In 1720 there were still five alehouses, kept by James Taylor, Joseph Lancashire, James Ridings, John Lord and John Fitton. The first licensee who can be identified with a particular house was Edmund Hopwood, who was at the Old Boars Head in 1737.
Middleton's oldest licence is an oddity. This belongs to the Mallard on Windermere Road, a new public house which was built in the 1960s. When it opened, Wilson's Brewery used a licence which had belonged to one of their Manchester houses destroyed in the Second World War. The pub was the Old Bulls Head in the Market Place, once Manchester's principal inn and in business when Middleton's Old Boars Head was just a hole in the ground.
Their are around 120 pubs listed in the booklet, and they are arranged in an A to Z format. They include Albion Inn, Barbers Arms, Bird in the Hand, Black Bull, Black Horse, Blue Ball, Boarshaw Hotel, British Queen, Butchers Arms, Church Inn, Crown, Dog and Partridge, Farewell Inn, Firwood Tavern, Foresters Arms, Gardners Arms, George Inn, Grapes Inn, Hare and Hounds, Hen and Chickens, Hopwood Arms, Joiners Arms, Jolly Butcher, Jolly Carter, Lancashire Fold, Lark Inn, Lord Nelson, Market Inn, Middleton Archer, Moonraker, Nags Head, New Inn, Old Boars Head, Old Hall Inn, Queens Head, Railway Hotel, Red Lion, Rock Inn, and many more!
Condition of the booklet is generally very good. The covershave one or two very minor scuffs but are clean and bright, the staple spine is intact and all pages are clean, intact, unblemished and tightly bound. Has an old price printed on the front cover, a small price sticker on the rear side.
Middleton Pubs 1737-1993 and their licensees, by Rob Magee
Booklet published by Neil Richardson in 1993, 75 pages. A4 size booklet (N7914)