Industrial Locomotives of Mid and South Glamorgan, by Geoffrey Hill
Published by the Industrial Railway Society (IRS) in 2007, 424 pages. Hardback - c.15cm by 21cm (N6050)
From the introduction: This book is a further volume in the series published by the Industrial Railway Society covering the industrial locomotives and railways of Great Britain, and deals with the former counties of Mid & South Glamorgan. The book completes the coverage of Wales in the society's 'Handbook' series..... the information is set out in six sections as follows:
1. Industrial locations where privately-owned locomotives were/are used.
2. Locomotives operated by the National Coal Board / British Coal from 1947 to date.
3. Known details of locomotives used on civil engineering contracts, including contracts involving the construction of many sections of public railways.
4. Locomotives that passed through the hands of dealers, hirers and repairers in the area of study.
5. Preservation and pleasure railway locations where the track gauge exceeds 1ft 3in.
6. Known details of non-locomotive worked railways, post 1970, of sufficient length to be of interest
Indexes are included for ease of reference to locomotives and locations listed in the text. A range of maps identifying the locations (where known) of the entries listed is also provided.
The book also includes 47 pages of plate black and white photographs to the rear of the book. Aside from the first of these, there are two photographs per page, and thus over 90 photo's in total, showing different locomotives.
The condition of the book is generally very good. The cover boards have one or two minor scuffs and scratches, and a small indentation mark in the front cover, but the spine is tight and intact, and all pages are clean, intact, unblemished and tightly bound. There is a small price sticker on the rear side cover.