Hampton Wick - The Story of a Thames-side Village (Part 1: Up to 1800), by Paul Barnfield

Hampton Wick - The Story of a Thames-side Village (Part 1: Up to 1800), by Paul Barnfield
Booklet published by the Twickenham Local History Society in 2004, 52 pages. A5 size booklet (N7597)

From the introduction: Hampton Wick today is a parish of some 1315 acres on the north bank of the River Thames opposite the town of Kingston upon Thames. It was, is and always will be, just a village. Confined by the royal parks of Hampton Court on the west and the south, by the former fields of south Teddington on the north (now roads and houses), by the River Thames on the east, and over-shadowed by the bustling town of Kingston just a few yards over the bridge, there has never been much room for growth and consequently Hampton Wick has always maintained its village identity. Its heyday was probably in the years from 1863 when it finally broke free from the mother parish of Hampton and ran its own Local Board and,later, Urban District Council. But then in 1937 Hampton Wick, together with neighbouring towns, was forced to amalgamate to form the Borough of Twickenham, which in its turn was swallowed up into the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. Today Hampton Wick often feels itself one of the forgotten corners of the borough with never-ending streams of traffic pouring through the village heading for Kingston Bridge, one of the busiest over the River Thames. Contents include:

Early Days
The Village 1600 - 1800
Kingston Bridge
Local Government
The Charities Dispute
Final Thoughts

Condition of the booklet is generally good. The cover has some minor scuffs, and light wear along the edges and corners, but the staple spine is intact and all pages are intact, unblemished and tightly bound.