Dalry Road Motive Power Depot, Edinburgh, A History 1848-1965, by Harry Knox

£25.99
Dalry Road Motive Power Depot, Edinburgh, A History 1848-1965, by Harry Knox

Published by Lightmoor Press in 2018, 192 pages. Large Hardback - c.28cm by 22cm (N6949)

Brand New Book

From the rear side cover: The Caledonian Railway was something of a latecomer to the Edinburgh railway scene, but proved it was not backwards in extending its hold on the city and environs. Thwarted by the NBR in its attempts to access the docks at Leith and Granton, it pursued its own agenda in serving the burgeoning industries in both West and Midlothian. A passenger railway from the outset, a small ‘engine house’ was constructed in the Dalry Ward of the city, known as Dalry Road MPD, which eventually provided motive power for both the significant passenger train service, and the mineral and goods traffic being handled. It also provided power for an intensive suburban passenger service to the north and west of the city. The ‘Caley’ was to prove a much-loved institution in Edinburgh.

The book is illustrated throughout with black and white photographs, drawings and line diagrams.