Published privately by the author in 2014, 90 pages. Large A4 size softback (N6120)
From the foreword: In the late nineteenth century Barton Waterside was a thriving area almost a mile from the town of Barton. A busy industrial area on both banks of the haven provided work for many residents, and the River Humber and Barton Haven gave easy access to the outer world; one tenth of Barton's population lived north of the Butts Road - Dam Road line at the time of the 1871 census. Only a few years before that census seagoing sloops had loaded tiles for London at a wharf near the railway station. Many seagoing ships worked into and out of the Haven until the 1930's.
Looking round the Waterside area now it is difficult to imagine the bustle of normal life that time. Commercial river shipping has vanished, the old industries have closed down and the haven itself is blocked by reeds and suffering from a build-up of mud because most of the water, which historically kept the haven clean and useable, has been diverted.
Hopefully this book will reveal some of Waterside's vanished past. The shipyard has produced vessels for hundreds of years but there is no visible evidence of the warships built during two world wars. Recently the tradition of quality boatbuilding has continued without local publicity; the shipyard is now nationally renowned for the restoration of historic yachts.
The book is illustrated throughout with several small black and white photographs and lists, and chapters include: The
The condition of the book is generally very good. The covers are clean and bright, the spine is tight and intact, and all pages are clean, intact, unblemished and tightly bound.