A Guide to the Chilworth Gunpowder Mills, by Glenys Cocker

£5.99
A Guide to the Chilworth Gunpowder Mills, by Glenys Cocker

A Guide to the Chilworth Gunpowder Mills, by Glenys Cocker

Published by the Surrey Industrial History Group in 2005, 20 pages. A5 size booklet (N5245)

From the rear side cover: Surrey was an important county for the manufacture of gunpow­der, and a total of eighteen manufacturing sites have been re­corded there. Chilworth was not the first gunpowder works in the county - that was at Rotherhithe on the Thames in the 1540s - but it was the longest running, from 1626, when the mills were estab­lished by the East India Company, until they closed in 1920, shortly after the First World War.

The site extends for some 2 kilometres along the Tillingbourne valley. It is well served by footpaths throughout its length and it is crossed by a long-distance path, the Downs Link, which runs from St Martha's Church, on the hill above the gunpowder site, to meet the South Downs Way in Sussex.

This Guide provides a brief outline history of the mills and a sum­mary explanation of the manufacturing processes. It describes the features that can be seen along a route from west of Blacksmith Lane, Chilworth, to Postford Pond and Waterloo Pond in Albury. 

The condition of the booklet is generally very good. The cover has one or two minor scuffs, and some light nibbling along the edges and corners, but the staple spine is tight and intact, and all pages are clean, intact, unblemished and tightly bound. There is a small price sticker on the rear side cover

Condition New