Left Book Club

The Left Book Club was founded in 1936 by three men, Stafford Cripps, John Strachey, and the publisher Victor Gollancz. The purpose of the club was to publish left wing, socialist and communist books, and to make them available on a monthly basis to its members. It continued to publish books for over ten years, and by the time it ended in the late 1940's the club had published over 240 different titles.